Friday, January 29, 2010

You Know, It's Weird


One of my biggest concerns about being a father is the idea that I might get to be too detached - I don't want to be that dad who's sitting in his easy chair, watching a football game, drinking a beer, and answering in monosyllabic grunts whenever my kid(s) ask(s) me something(s).

So I was really quite worried that Lorelei would forget me while I was out of town this last weekend. I took a work trip to Cleveland and Pittsburgh over the course of five days. It was a good trip, and I'm glad that I went, but yeah, I was concerned.

What I was not ready to worry about was the idea that the baby would misbehave as much as she did. Or maybe "misbehave" is too strong a word - perhaps it was just that she was more work than Kirsten was really ready for. And I knew that the trip could turn out badly, but not that it would turn out as badly as it did.

So while I usually enjoy traveling, and I always enjoy coming back into town to see my wife, I think I'm glad I can be back for another reason - now I can be sure to help Kirsten get through the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home