Friday, January 08, 2010

Well, That's Disappointing


So I'm laying in bed with not a whole lot going on at the moment, and I got to thinking about Bowl Season (like every other red-blooded American man).

It's been a rough year for me this year. I got pretty psyched up about Marshall playing in a bowl for the first time in like five years (let's ignore that it was the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl for the moment), but then I realized they had to play Ohio University, which had just a few weeks before lost the MAC Championship game to Central Michigan and their really, really, ridiculously good-looking quarterback Dan LeFevour. For a backstory, my parents went to Ohio University, as did most of my grandparents. But Marshall has always been the little red-headed stepchild of colleges in West Virginia, despite having better academics of their entrance class than WVU.

At any rate, Marshall won their game - a bittersweet moment for me.

Then, WVU lost to unranked and unqualified Florida State. Bah. I understand the value of having Bobby Bowden, Florida State's coach, coach against the team that really catapulted him to big-name status in West Virginia, but still...I would rather have had WVU beat a team that wasn't fired up, than have to lose to one that was.

At the end of the 34 bowl games, the Big East had only gone 3-2 in its bowls this year, a pathetic showing for a conference that, frankly, I had hoped would do better. After the ACC raided the Big East for teams five years ago, it looked like the death knell of the Big East, but they swiped a few teams from Conference USA, and Univeristy of Connecticut's football team popped up from basically nowhere.

At least I can take some comfort in the fact that the Big Ten is still overrated - they only went 3-5 in bowl games this year.

Small favors, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home