Friday, October 13, 2006

Ok, What Now?


Have you ever had one of those days where you've gotten all of your work done, and you don't know where to go from there? Maybe you can't start your next project because of time constraints (it would take too long), or in my case, because you can only call people every two days instead of every day.

That's where I am right now. Or rather, where I was yesterday, and I think the attitude has pervaded through to today ("pervaded" is a word, I promise). Anyway, yesterday afternoon I didn't have a lot to do after around 3:30, because I had achieved my goals for the day (and for today as well, truth be told) and couldn't keep going because all of the work I was going to do did, in fact, have to wait until today. So for the last hour and a half of the day or thereabouts, I was stuck in this weird limbo place where I couldn't do work that I felt I'd get into, but I couldn't leave either.

I mean, I did leave to go to Smoothie King, but I came back. So it's not really leaving, so much as it was "running errands." I've noticed that that phrase can get you out of work pretty much anytime you want. Like this:
"Hey boss, I have to run some errands, pick up some dry cleaning, but I'll be back around three."
"Sounds good."

Or perhaps:
"Hey, I have to run some errands, go to Topeka, I should be back Tuesday."
"See you then. Drive safely."

And I think in some situations you could try this:
"Hey, I need to run some errands, go to the moon, simple stuff. I'll be back early August."
"Fly safe, Buzz."

Maybe it's not so much the "running errands" part as it is that you introduce the subject with a "Hey," which implies familiarity, unimportance, and sponteneity all at once. "Hey, we need to bomb the shit out of Iraq" would probably work well too.

At any rate, now that errands are run and the day has rolled from one to another, I'm stuck at work in pretty much the same attitude as I was in yesterday. I have work to do now, but my mind just isn't there.

At least the new Student Life is out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home