Friday, October 27, 2006

How Did This Make it Through Marketing?


Tesco is a supermarket chain in England that none of us have ever heard of, because they normally don't do things like attempt to conquer the world, one hillbilly community at a time (I'm looking at you, Wal-Mart). They're quiet, they're responsible, they're affordable. All in all, nice English folks.

Until, say, Tuesday.

Tesco pulls pole-dancing kit from toy section.

That's right - a quiet, well-behaved, generally English supermarket chain actually sold a device that was a self-installing home pole dancing kit. It even came with a DVD of suggestive dance moves. So maybe, just maybe, one could say it really didn't belong in the toy section. While if I were 14 and a friend of mine showed it to me I admit I'd be pretty stoked (I'd be pretty stoked if someone showed it to me now), I think it's fair to say that parents being upset by this thing mixed in with Tickle-me Elmos have a right to be a little upset.

Putting it next to Tickle-me Elmo would certainly make him seem a little more perverse, I think. Maybe by association, or maybe because he vibrates.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, it's still in the fitness section, and it's available online for just fifty pounds. Apparently "releasing the sex kitten inside" burns a few calories. But I guess Carmen Electra already knew that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home