Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fatter and Balder


This weekend has been a series of very strange moments for me: it's the weekend of my high school reunion (go Capital High School Cougars! WOOOOOOOOOO!!). And there were quite a few people I recognized immediately: the class president, I knew her on sight. A guy from my drumline (and his wife, who sat in front of me in AP Chemistry junior year and was in the band with us) was pretty much unchanged. My old friend Curt, from elementary school and Boy Scouts looked exactly the same except for the addition of facial hair. My ex-fiance? Piece of cake to pick out. It was really awkward to see her, though. That's a story for another day that probably won't get told at all.

But there were other folks I just didn't quite immediately recognize. A fellow by the name of Joe (who describes himself as a gypsy) was very, very different - more tattoos, for starters. A fellow by the name of Marc - I don't remember him at all, or if I do I've pushed it out. Tyke, Jason, Justin....nothin'.

And really, a lot of them look different - less hair, more body fat. And kids! Seeing some of these folks with kids was the strangest thing, because I had a hard time imagining many of them even dating people in HS, let alone reproducing with someone.

As an aside: at this very instant, Kirsten is singing along with the SpongeBob Square Pants theme song.

The trip out there was weird, too...and very smelly. Indiana still smells like boiling cow shit. There was a point where I turned to Kirsten and asked, "Did someone shove one skunk up another skunk's ass and then run them over?"

We'll be back on Tuesday, at which point I will promptly forget everything that happened this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home