Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Free-form Thoughts


Today I met with a professor named Bill Buhro, who does some really neat work with Lead/Telluride semiconductors, formed from quantum threads (which are not quantum dots, of course). His research into them involves, he thinks, future applications in solar power by increasing the number of potential electron/hole pairs which can be produced by a photon striking the quantum thread. Cool.

The other day Kirsten and I bought our St. Patrick's day shirts, and I settled on one with the Green Lantern's logo. Kirsten had no idea who he was, so I had to explain him to her. I'm somewhat disheartened that this classic, if oft-overlooked, superhero isn't part of her daily thought processes, the way he is mine. Ah, well, what can you do?

I'm immensely proud of my wife, who now knows random Pink Floyd lyrics.

Last night Kirsten and I saw In Bruges, a freaky-ass movie with Colin Farrel, Ralph Feinnes, and Brendan Gleeson. It's not all that gory until the end, despite it being about a pair of hitmen. But it's pretty funny - mostly shock humor/black humor. And it's a little unsettling, I admit.

Now I should stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home