Friday, December 08, 2006

Premature Ranting?


Apparently WVU football coach Rich Rodriguez is staying at WVU.
I'm glad he's staying. But any coach who leaves his team/school/employer, especially after saying he'd stay, deserves the wroth I hoped God, or Fate, or whatever, would visit upon Rodriguez if he'd left.

There are 117 D-1 college football teams, and probably 9,000 college football players. Only 1 in maybe 50 will ever make a pro league. So that means 49 of every 50 people on those teams put on a uniform for something beyond professional goals. You are never too old to learn ethics, standards of behavior, and what a promise means. And while I may come across as a do-gooder idealist, I honestly believe that playing football, or any sport, is good for student athletes for the lessons they learn both from the game AND from the people who teach that game.

And a lesson that "money is more important than my word" is the wrong lesson to deliver, even if those students already believe that. Stand up in the face of that offer of more money: show your students that commitments mean something.

That's just what I was trying to get across.

I'm still a little steamed that he even made people wait. I know he signed a contract upgrade with WVU today around the same time he told his team that he was staying, so perhaps he was just trying to squeeze West Virginia out of some dough. And that was a little iffy. But again, yeah, I'm glad he'll be at WVU for a while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home