Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!


I don't have to remind any of you that Thanksgiving is about more than turkey and gravy - it's about the people we love, the things we have that others aren't lucky enough to ever imagine, and the way we can go about our lives in ways that other people can only dream of.

I'm thankful for all of my friends, for those I know, and even those I've lost touch with; time with them was something I'd never trade away. I'm thankful for my home, for Kirsten, for family. I'm thankful for a job that I'm glad I have, even when I carp about it. And I'm thankful for football, even though I can't watch any of the NFL Network games because Charter doesn't carry them.

NFL Picks, week 12:
Dolphins at Lions: The Lions looked pretty weak last Sunday; it's hard to say what the reason really was. But QB Jon Kitna has a habit of forcing things when he feels the team is on his shoulders. If he can stay calm and collected and know the guys around him will pick it up, he won't blow it. If he feels that the guys around him can't be depended on (which they can't), he'll choke. MIA
Buccaneers at Cowboys: On the flipside, the Cowboys looked pretty freakin' good last week. DAL
Broncos at Chiefs: Kansas City is hosting a Thanksgiving game for the first time since the AFL/NFL merger. They won't win, so you could say it'll have been 39 years since they won a Thanksgiving game. DEN
Steelers at Ravens: Memo to the Steelers: Beating the Browns is no great feat. Lots of people do it - close to 60% since the team was reinstated. Beating the current AFC North leaders? A little harder, methinks. BAL
Bengals at Browns: Memo to Bengals: What you did against the Saints last week? Do that again. And don't lose any more games, else you're out of the Wild Card hunt. CIN
49ers at Rams: Most people haven't been noticing this, but the 49ers are amassing off their best record since Mooch left. It's still 5-5, one game up on the Rams. I say the Niners climb above .500 this week. SFO
Cardinals at Vikings: The fact that the Cards won last week is astounding. I can't contemplate that happening again. MIN
Texans at Jets: Chad Pennington has struggled this season. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the running game of the Jets being pretty bad this season, and thus putting pressure on a guy who's really more of a leader than a thrower. But either way, they're playing the Texans, so thank goodness for that. NYJ
Saints at Falcons: Aaron Brooks is not the Saints QB anymore. This is not a guaranteed win by any means - but I get the feeling that the Falcons may just play like it is. NOR
Panthers at Redskins: Jason Campbell is better than Chad Pennington, not that that has anything to do with anything. I just thought I'd bring it up, since it'll probably be the 'Skins lone bright spot this week. CAR
Jaguars at Bills: This is a tough call, really a toss-up. But because of weather concerns, I'm leaning towards Buffalo, because of the Jags' weak road performance this season - they're like the 2003 Chiefs. BUF
Raiders at Chargers: Boy, I bet the Falcons wish they could play the Raiders this week. SDG
Giants at Titans: Tough call. Tiki Barber is right, the Giants did get away from the running game last week, and it's especially hurtful considering how much Eli Manning has regressed since the start of the season (just like last year, oddly enough). I'm casting a home-team-wins vote for this one. TEN
Bears at Patriots: Not because of offense, but because of defense: The Patriots will eat Rex Grossman for breakfast. NE
Eagles at Colts: Jeff Garcia, I bet you wish you were back in San Francisco, where the worst you had to put up with was T.O. calling you gay. IND
Packers at Seahawks: Matty H may or may not play this week, but it's not that big a deal. The Packers just don't have the weapons that, say, the 49ers (who beat the 'hawks last week) do. SEA

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home