Monday, April 05, 2004

What the hell were they thinking?
Normally, I don't like to really rip on professional athletes too much. They're obviously very good at what they do, or they wouldn't be playing in the big leagues. Their salaries, even at the league-mandated minimum for rookies, are about 10 times my own. They go through a very demanding training regimen about 450 days a year.

But I'm watching the Cardinals/Brewers game today online, and I can't help but wonder: who are these scrubs? Specifically, Milwaukee's scrubs. I'm no baseball nutzo, but I pay some small amount of attention. I know who's won what World Series, for example, and I can name at least a few players off of most of those rosters. I know a lot of players by name and reputation (or, in Milton Bradley's case, by name and board games). So I'm confused here.

Are baseball's economics really so screwed up that Milwaukee is only able to field the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel players? This isn't a rhetorical question; I really want to know. I mean, I have heard of maybe two of the Brewers' starting 9 today. And they're both OLD.

Here's today's Milwaukee Brewers starting lineup:
Scott Posednik - CF
Craig Counsell - SS
Junior Spivey - 2B
Geoff Jenkins - LF
Lyle Overbay - 1B
Wes Helms - 3B
Ben Grieve - RF
Chad Moeller - C
Ben Sheets - P

Alright, so I know three of those names - Sheets, Counsell, and Spivey. It should be noted that both Counsell and Spivey are castoffs from the Diamondbacks team that won it all three years ago, and they weren't cast off entirely because of salary. They were cut because (drum roll please) they're old and getting worse as players.

I know this is probably a little too strong of a solution, but if a team can't field a decent roster on OPENING FREAKING DAY, they should be folded. Find a new owner and a new home, move the team, and try again. They did it with the Seattle Pilots, they can do it with other teams, too.

Oh, by the way: the Brewers are held "in trust" by the family of MLB's commissioner, Allan "Bud" Selig.

Second final thought: Is Tony Womack really the best second baseman the Cardinals could come up with?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home