Friday, March 26, 2004

Further proof that sportscasters are generally morons
When I was a kid, I grew up thinking it would be really cool to be a sportscaster, you know? Just ride around on a bus or airplane, go to lots of football and baseball games, and do nothing during the months of January to April.

I found out later that sportscasters have to do all sports at least somewhat well, and have to know those sports fairly inside-out, in order to do their jobs. I decided on veterinary medicine instead, and it should be noted that I haven't really achieved that goal either.

But back on topic, I've also learned since my childhood days that a lot of sports announcers are phenomenally dumb people, who only talk to hear their own voices. Yesterday's NCAA basketball game between Pittsburgh's Panthers and the Oklahoma State Cowboys was a case in point. In the second half with about 12 minutes to play, Pittsburgh was up by 2 points, and Carl Krauser had the ball for the Panthers. The announcers were talking about young Mr. Krauser as if he'd already won the game for the Panthers, and one of them even went so far as to say, "He's broken the backs of the Cowboys several times tonight."

Pardon?

The Panthers are up by a grand total of one field goal basket and you're saying that their backs have been broken? If Krauser were responsible for Pitt going up by 20, then sure, yeah, you can say that. But with 12 minutes left in a tight game, that's hardly a whuppin.'

I have no idea who the announcers were for this game, but I don't really care, either. Being that full of hot air causes one to lose his or her right to a name. They're now just "the bad CBS broadcast team."

Oh, and the game? Oklahoma State won, broken backs and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home