Friday, November 21, 2003

He wasn't a has-been yet
You know, when you die, you expect a certain amount of notice to be paid to you and your life; at least, I do. I don't expect an entire nation to lay down and weep upon hearing news of my passing, but I would certainly like the people that know me and presumably care for me to at least take notice of it.

Jonathan Brandis, occasionally a movie star, more often than not just a blip in our collective subconscious (come on, we all watched SeaQuest DSV), passed away on the 12th of November, an apparent suicide victim.

But here's the thing: nobody noticed. Nobody. And nobody has said anything publicly, either.

The story finally hit the national news today, the 21st of November, 9 days after the fact. Now, myself, I'm not a big Brandis fan. I thought Neverending Story 2 was a waste of time, and I'm glad I only sat through about 4 minutes of it. Same with Ladybugs. But Jesus, people...he was a teen heart-throb! Chicks dug him! He was on SeaQuest! SEAQUEST!

People notice when David Caruso belches in the general direction of anyone on the NYPD: Blue cast. But when a teen actor who seemed to be getting his career back on track passes away, not a chirp. Funny, that. And not particularly fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home