Friday, June 20, 2003

Now is the dead time.

Six weeks of nothing but baseball to keep me company. No football, no hockey, not even any basketball. It's sad, really, especially because I don't get baseball on my non-cable television more than two days a week. It's like the NFL preseason...nothing important is happening, and if it is, then I'm sure as hell not seeing it. It's almost enough to make me wish that I was shelling out the forty bucks a month for cable.

And that brings me to another point (I am the segue master). In the buildings on either side of me, residents can get Charter Pipeline, the cable modem service provided by Charter Communications. Charter Pipeline has a cost associated with it, of course; it's not free. But I think that having it may be cheaper than having DSL on my phone line, plus I get an added bonus that SBC, so far as I know, can't provide: The Cartoon Network.

Cartoon network is possibly the greatest channel ever created. Every day, for 24 hours, they show cartoons. Old cartoons, new cartoons, cartoons by amateur artists, anime, Batman, Superman, Goku, G.I.Joe, the original Transformers, Buttercup...the list of characters and shows goes on and on. Animation is the height of true broadcast art, let me tell you. All they need is the Thundercats to make that network the television equivalent of the Duomo. I'll admit that showing "The New Teen Titans" is maybe a waste of half an hour, but I'm sure somebody out there likes it. (By the way, Thundercats is on Cartoon Network, too. Heehee).

And, of course, I'd get the high-speed internet access that comes with a cable modem. I'm sure it could compete with the DSL in non-peak hours, and certainly in price.

But that's neither here nor there. The reason that the buildings on either side have the opportunity for charter pipeline is that the building owners have given their blessing to Charter to re-cable the buildings, something which my current landlord has not done...those old-school cloth-covered CoAx cables just can't carry the signal required for digital cable and internet access. But then, why SHOULD the landlords do that? After all, the sink and bathtub in my apartment are original to the building as well. And despite having four washer and dryer hookups, you will find but three of each...apparently, providing decent service to the residents at no cost whatsoever is a foreign idea to Kohner Properties.

So, let me finish with this: Kohner Properties=bad. Thundercats=bad, but fun. Amber Bock=good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home