Sunday, May 16, 2010

Do This Eight More Times and I'll Officially be a Handyman


So, I gained a series of great new skills today.

As part of my efforts to do minor rehabbing on the house to make it more valuable when we re-sell it, I spent a few hours today Dry-Lok'ing the basement where the old Dry-Lok had flaked away (my realtor said it would be a good way to make it seem as if tehre's no moisture problem in the basement - there isn't, but we need to make it seem like there isn't, too).

So this has been my chance to re-learn the skills necessary to apply a heavy petroleum-distillate sealant to a basement wall. And, in addition to practicing already-gained skills, I've learned a good deal more than I knew before.

For example, I have learned that the previous coat of sealant was applied to a layer of cement that had been applied over the stacked masonry foundation. But this means that the adhesive capabilities of the Dry-Lok would be affected if, say, the cement wasn't sound. Like, what if it had too much sand? Then the Dry-Lok would not stick well. And it would flake off.

What this would also mean is that applying the next layer of Dry-Lok would be impossible unless one were to scrape off the entire layer of cement that coated the masonry. And Homey don't play that.

So I have now also learned that Dry-Lok has a variety of adhesive properties:
1. After 10 seconds, it is thick enough to be self-adhesive.
2. After 20 seconds, it is tacky enough to resist gravity.
3. After 40 seconds, it is dry enough to be self-supportively adhesive.
4. After 2 minutes, it is dry enough to be supportive of other structures, like additional coats of Dry-Lok.

The problem is finding a way to get the stuff to stay on a vertical wall long enough to hold on to itself. I wonder if I can somehow mount the house to an axis to turn spin the whole thing around its center?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home