Saturday, March 20, 2010

See, This is Why I Don't Gamble on College Sports


I've been casting about hither and yon in an attempt to find something to post about this week, and it's been kinda hard. Kirsten has taken the wind out of my sails with two videos of Lorelei being adorable (well, one video of Lorelei being adorable, and one of her being vomitous), so kid-related blog posts are out. The cats haven't done anything special, so they're not gettin' posted about.

I am watching a Pixar short about Mater going to Japan and becoming a racer, a-la Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, which is hilarious, but not really worth talking about beyond that.

Moving on....

No, I'm stuck blogging this evening about how much I FREAKING HATE THE NCAA FINAL FOUR. Seriously. Every year I put together a bracket that is based on legitimate research, the wisdom of crowds, rankings, RPI, record against top-25 and top-50 teams...and every year I get reamed with a broomhandle.

This year there were the standard upsets in the first round of the tournament, which is to be expected - no big deal, right? Right. The real problem comes in the second round of the 2010 Division I basketball champinships, when freaking NORTHERN FREAKING IOWA beats Kansas. Number 1 in the overall tournament Kansas! Versus number 9 in the region Northern Iowa! THEY LOSE TO FREAKING NORTHERN IOWA! WHAT THE HELL???

Every one of the five brackets I submitted this year had Kansas going to the National Championship game and winning. Every one! So what now? Well, it looks like I've donated 10 bucks to charity in two pay bracket leagues, and wasted my time with the other brackets.

At least the fact that 11th-ranked Washington beat number-3 New Mexico later in the day now means nothing, despite my having New Mexico making the Elite Eight in three of my brackets.

There are times when I can honestly say that I'm a subject-matter expert. There are times when I can say, in sporting-related questions, that I know what I'm talking about?

But in March? Well, that'd just be madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home