Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Because it's Funny, That's Why


One of the reasons Steve Martin is viewed as such a comedy god is that he took comedy from the one-liner business ("I'm so boring, my girlfriend won't even buy me a down coat because I'd be wearing myself") into the story-telling business. Before Steve Martin, the jokes were simple and put together in no real order. Now, any comedy show is basically a one-hour monologue with no fourth wall.

One great example is part of his 1970s act called "Grandmother's Song."

Of course, modern humor has moved past the thinking man's world and into the realm of making fun of traumatized children at puppet shows. No complaints from me, mind you.

Actually, I think that might be me. So maybe I should complain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home