Thursday, December 21, 2006

Musical Observations


A couple of years ago, in their quixotic (love that word) quest to define every word we use in the English Language, the Oxford English Dictionary included with much fanfare the word "Bootylicious." That word, of course, had been made famous by Beyonce Knowles and her song by the same title, which includes the oft-repeated lines "I don't think you're ready / For this jelly / My body's too bootylicious for you, baby."

This is the Webster's definition: "sexually attractive, esp. in the buttocks."

Now, I'm too cheap to subscribe to the Oxford website, but I can guess what they'd write:
"Sexually attractive, and often in the posession of jelly."

Kirsten was singing along with my copy of the song earlier, including the above line. I informed her that I had (in point of fact) made preparations for jelly. I also told her that I was quite confident I could handle her body's bootyliciousness.

She scoffed.

Soon after we were listening to Our Lady Peace's song "Clumsy," and Kirsten pointed out that I shouldn't like OLP, because I hate Oasis (it's true, I do). But it's not Oasis's music I dislike - generally, it's the right mix of mellow and paranoid for me. But I hate Oasis as people, because I think they're a bunch of moody selfish asshats who are so drug-addled they couldn't write a decent rhyme if you told them just copy straight from The Cat in the Hat. OLP, on the other hand, has managed to fade into obscurity the way they're supposed to: quietly. Not like, say, Great White, or Axl Rose.

Speaking of Guns N' Roses, GNR's non-sociopathic members, who now make up the backbone of Velvet Revolver (with drug-addled Scott Weiland as lead singer), announced recently via the Velvet Revolver MySpace page that they were working on their sophomore album, which should hit stores by May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home