Thursday, January 20, 2005

When Good Words Go Bad
For some idiot reason, I was just thinking back to a particular moment in my junior year of high school - I was doing homework in the library during lunch, for the simple reason that I hadn't done it at home the night before. In English class, we were learning the different usages of the words "who" and "whom." It was one of those worksheet-type things where you do this number:

"___ is at the door?" (who/whom)
"Michael said he looks for a girl ___ has brains." (who/whom)

And so on and so forth.

The problem was that after a while, the word "whom" lost all meaning for me. Midway down the page, I started circling "who" for every answer, because I kept pronouncing the other word as "wahm." Which, as we all know, isn't a word.

Just a random flashback.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home