Thursday, September 25, 2003

Further proof that politics really is a very funny business:

In the televised debate between recall election hopefuls on Wednesday night, Arianna Huffington and Arnold Schwarzenegger got into some pretty heated personal attacks - oddly enough, they had nothing to do with Arianna's obvious facelift (why did I just say that?). Here's an excerpt from a CNN.com news story:

When [Huffington] criticized GOP support for corporate tax loopholes, Schwarzenegger responded that he could "drive my Hummer" through the loopholes she used to pay negligible personal income tax during the last two years.

Huffington criticized the violent nature of Schwarzenegger's movies.
She retorted, "I was writing and researching a book, and I wasn't making $20 million violent movies."

At another point, when Schwarzenegger interrupted her, Huffington objected. "This is the way you treat women. We know that. But not now."

Allowed to rebut what Statham ruled was a personal attack, Schwarzenegger said, "I would just like to say that I just realized that I have a perfect part for you in 'Terminator 4.'" He also suggested that she might need "more decaf."


See, that's funny stuff. Any time one candidate says to another, "Arrianah, I think you need some moah decaf," in that great Austrian accent, politics take a backseat to what is obviously going to be the most entertaining political campaign since a guy named Peter Beter ran for West Virginia's Governorship.

Which reminds me: Why wasn't Gary Coleman in the debate? He may not be a leading candidate, but I'm sure he's pretty smart. I mean, there really is no such thing as a dumb actor - there are actors without an ounce of common sense, but to be a professional actor, you have to at least be smart enough to memorize a script. Hell, even George Bush couldn't do that - which may be why he's a politician.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home