Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Mea Cul...ah, Screw It


I must admit that I'm not always the hardest-working fellow. I kill time on the internet, like most folks. It's not all that uncommon, especially in Missouri, to screw around at work sometimes.

I worry, though, that sometimes I do it too much. I don't mean that I'm not doing my job, because I am, and frankly, I'm damned good at it. But I still feel like even though I'm achieving my goals, I'm still having problems feeling like I've justified myself for the day. While there is no love lost between myself and the University of Notre Dame (I blame Tostidos), I have had affixed to my office door the Notre Dame home football locker-room statement, "Play like a champion today" ever since I took my current position.

Of course, Notre Dame football has won more national titles than I have. I don't have an all-time record in front of me, but I'm pretty sure I've won...uhm...zero.

Back on topic, I tend not to notice my own self-identified laziness except when I'm working abnormally hard. It's almost like working hard, in the absence of hardly working, makes the latter all the more obvious than the absence of the former. Sort of like how you notice low oxygen levels in a room because you've passed out and turned blue, but when the oxygen levels are normal, you don't even think about it.

Sloth is, I think, the ninja of the Seven Deadly Sins. Gluttony is probably the Bobcat Goldthwait of the group.

So I guess where I'm going with this post is that I've been busy lately - pleasantly so, in fact. With any luck, this'll keep up for a couple of months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home