Monday, June 27, 2005

This is Good Writing How?
I admit that I come from a bit of a backwater state - West Virginia's largest city, after all, hovers around 51,000 people in terms of residency. The second-largest city is effectively the same size.

But we have a newspaper that prides itself on being of a high quality, one that provides hard-hitting journalism and quality stories. Actually, we have two daily papers, which is more than I can say for St. Louis.

This morning, I was reading the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, half of which (the Post part) was founded by Joseph Pulitzer, the same guy who created the Pulitzer Prizes for journalism. I would expect his paper to be full of the same sort of journalism and quality that the Charleston Gazette and Daily Mail pride themselves on.

Instead, I get a story about geese in a suburban St. Louis city.
"Owl decoys proved ineffective. They were erected in Ballwin's Vlasis Park to terrify the Canada geese, but the geese were undeceived and ignored the decoys or pooped on them sociably."

And that's not the end, either. It's as if the word "poop" has become THE word to replace feces, or defecant, or anything else. But I can't see Snoop Dogg replacing his beloved "shiznit" with "pizzoop," because among other things, it sounds even dumber, if that's possible.

Wicky word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home