Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I'm ashamed to be West Virginian. Again.
While poking through my local paper, the Charleston Gazette, this morning, I found perhaps the most idiotic and hateful thing I've read in a long time.

Please keep in mind that I disagree 100% with this letter, but sometimes, it's a little cathartic to show the reason why I'm bitching.

So here you go:

don’t think the Founding Fathers could possibly have conceived of the diverse religions that exist when they included freedom of religion in the Constitution. I think they meant freedom to be Christians in whatever way people wanted. Remember, the Puritans were persecuted in England and forced to immigrate to the new America.

I don’t think any religion that worships anything except the God of Christians should be allowed in the United States. Those Muslims should be deported. If they are American citizens, then renounce Islam or be exiled to some island, which the United States could purchase. No more burqas, no more veiled women, no more mosques, no more Islam in the United States.

I know that there have been wars initiated by Christians, but nowhere in the Christian credo does it say that to kill unbelievers is a way to heaven. If you want to come to America, then adopt the Christian religion. It’s as simple as that.

Jarold C. Leffel

Racine


I'd almost forgotten how backwoods my home state is...it's nice to know there's always someone to remind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home