Friday, October 03, 2003

Rush Limbaugh is in deep shit
Something tells me that Al Franken slept better last night than he has in ages.

Now, I hate to be the guy who just regurgitates what everyone else says, but because I usually can't come up with anything original to say, I'm not left with a lot of options. Now that we have that out of the way, I'm not going to say, "I told you so," because really, I couldn't see this coming.

Well, let me couch a little bit: I knew that Rush Limbaugh was going to be bad for ESPN. I mean, the guy is about as inflammatory as jet fuel in a Zippo factory, ok? There was no doubt in most people's minds, and probably a lot of minds in Bristol, that Rush was going to--what's the phrase here?--be interesting. An experiment, if you will, on releasing talk radio hosts back into the wild. As we all know now, it didn't work out so good. And as I so haughtily predicted to myself, it was Rush's big fat mouth that got him in trouble. No shocker.

What really came out of left field was the accusation by Rush's former maid that he had a prescription pill fix, and had attempted to detoxify himself TWICE. Now, honestly, raise your hands if you saw that coming.

*cricket* *cricket*

That's what I thought. Now, if Rush had been caught cheating on his wife, then yeah, I could have predicted that in 1997, maybe 96. If he'd had a gambling addiction, or been accused of murder, or even petty burglary, then fine, I could have legitimately foretold that that would be an issue. I mean, the guy's this incredible moralizer (not that I believe he means any of it), and spouts on and on about quality of character, the irony of his being some sort of deviant would be delicious, but predictable.

But OxyContin? Really, Rush, that's just not you.

Now for my final thought: It seems very often that those who crusade the loudest for the retention, or in some cases recapture, of moral character in America tend to have the greatest secrets to hide: William Bennett, President Bush *sniff*, Phyllis Schlafly...so what does that teach us? Are we to believe them when they say that God is to be feared, that women are to be kept under foot, and that everyone makes mistakes?

Or is it better just to have looser morals to start with, and if you ever get famous, your fall will be more predictable?

I'm going with the second, merely because it seems like more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home