Friday, August 14, 2009

I've Been Betrayed by the Local Greengrocer


Last night, while Kirsten was working out at 2Schae Cafe, the cafe where she's the nominal manager (and at this point one of only two non-ownership employees), I spent the evening hanging out with her. I do this a lot, since she works evenings three nights a week, and it gives us time to just chill together.

Anyway, she decides that she wants to try to cook a few Ellie Krieger recipes, pulled off of FoodNetwork.com. "Sounds good to me," I say. "Let's go ahead and do that thing you just said we should do." Truth be told, I don't know how much attention I was actually paying.

Anyway, one of the recipes, which we opted to cook tonight, called for escarole.

Wait...what? What the fuck is escarole?

I honestly don't know. But I figure, I've seen the sign at Schnucks in the greenery section before, so they have it there, and chances are good that they'll have it again, right?

Right?

No. No, they won't.

I went to Schnucks to buy the ingredients for tonight's recipe, and they have this thing in a basket labeled "escarole." The label is right there, the basket is right under it, there's not a whole lot of opportunity for error. I don't really know what I'm looking for, so how lucky am I that there's a basket greenery, with a sign right over it, that says "Right here is that thing you're looking for"?

I got home, and Kirsten asks me while I'm putting away groceries, "Did you get the escarole?" I say, "Sure, I did, it's right here. I think." We went to my favorite search engine, and looked up what escarole is supposed to look like.

It looks nothing like this thing I bought.

I still don't know what we actually paid seventy cents for. I threw it away (at Kirsten's behest), but now I'm wondering what else I was lied to about by the food shoppe. Is that can of chipotles really chipotles, or is it really oranges? That ground beef I bought a few days ago, how do I know that's not peanut butter? I mean, I know what the sign said, but how can I ever trust what these labels say again?




By the way, I'm sorry I haven't been updating as much lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home