Tuesday, June 01, 2004

What a great sports weekend
I watched Game 6 of the NBA's western conference finals yesterday, and boy are my eyes tired. You'll excuse the reference to an old joke, but my God...that was by far some of the most hands-on officiating I've ever seen.

Normally, especially in pro football, you'll hear complaints from a lot of people that the officials call too few penalties during the postseason. The officials, and the NFL front office, use this tired and weak excuse that "there are fewer penalties because the teams are better, and therefore the quality of play is higher." I think everyone can understand if I say that's bullshit - the quality of play isn't higher, the league just wants the games to move a little more quickly.

But the NBA, apparently, has taken a completely separate mindset: Let's call more penalties! Let's make the foul calls on really piddling little things that we said we weren't going to call this season! Hooray!

Honestly, could the grey shirts have been any more annoying last night? I don't watch a lot of basketball, because I can't play it for shit, but I do recognize when games are well-called and when they aren't. And last night's wasn't.

So there, I've said it.

By the way, the reason that last night was such a great sports night, and really made the whole long weekend? I got to watch the first Giants game I've seen in at least six years on television.

Thank God for cable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home