Monday, January 26, 2004

Yeah, that's a good way to do things
Maybe it's just me, but generally, when a team is in first place, the head coach or manager has something to do with it. I know Larry Bowa took a lot of flak for being a complete jerk-off in the Philadelphia Phillies' dugout; still, the team was in the wild-card hunt up until the very end, and I'm sure that Bowa's "I hate you all" attitude actually was a good part of that.

So when a team is in first place in the NBA, which isn't a particularly easy place to be, one has to wonder why in the world said team would so something so idiotic as to fire the coach that got it into first place. I have no idea what the real reason behind Byron Scott's firing is, but I'm sure a large amount of credence must be given to the theory that Jason Kidd and Coach Scott just don't get along. Kenyon Martin, apparently, also had some complaints about the tactics of Scott, but seriously - until Martin raises his field-goal percentage into the double-digits, I would personally prefer that he shut the hell up.

What kind of signal does that send to future coaching candidates that because your star player thinks he knows more about basketball theory than the coach, the coach is going to get the can? Now, if the Nets were in third place, or last place, then Kidd's complaints would probably be warranted. But honestly, the team was in first freaking place. In other words, nobody was ranked ahead of them in the standings. The idea that a first-place coach can be fired because your star is a whiny little bitch bothers me, and it really ought to bother anybody who'd be thinking about sending in their resume to the Nets should another vacancy open up (which, I'm sure, it will).

I hope Jason Kidd gets mugged his first day in Brooklyn. And you better watch that Karma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home