Monday, July 21, 2003

This is going to be another short entry, as I am short on time. But here goes:
Firstly, I have picked up some spare time working as a supervisor at the WU phonathon again, because they're short on supervisors (the only ones here for the summer are on vacation now). This is nice, as I get 9 bucks an hour that would have been no bucks an hour, and it's easy work, which is slightly more tedious than picking my nose. Oddly enough, it's a blast of nostalgia, as Kristen Haut, another former supervisor, has also agreed to pick up some slack.

Secondly, I saw The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen over the weekend.

...

It was better than Dude, Where's my Car? was, although not by much. Both had some decent special effects, although it's obvious that the budget was higher for LEG (I refuse to call it LXG, because that's just stupid). Also, the plot was better-formed than for Dude.

But that's about it. Really, it was a pretty bad film. The directing was bad, very bad. One scene that really sticks in my craw as one who has some degree of education in the matter was towards the beginning, when Allan Quartermain first meets Captain Nemo. The camera was focused on Quartermain, then Nemo says something. Does the camera cut to Nemo? Yes, but not while he's speaking. The audience looks at Quartermain while Nemo speaks, THEN we see Nemo. He's not moving, he's just standing. It was like staring at a frilly blue statue with a stoned look on his face. This is not good directing.

The cinematography will also not win any awards, other than Raspberries. God, how I hope it wins a few. The cameras were shaky, sometimes unfocused, and the actors were periodically not really well-framed. Sorry, guys, but no awards for the film.

I will say one thing, though...the CG effects were pretty good, but I'm easily impressed by just about anything along the lines of gigantic, white, silver-trimmed, pseudo-realistic submarines steaming through Venice. It's always a cool idea.

Bottom line: See this movie if, and only if, you do not pay for it.

Bottom line 2: Do not ever watch Dude, Where's my Car?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home