Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Willy Wonka Goes to Woodstock


Crazy Japanese Pretzel Commercial.

Anyway.

So, yeah, I got a promotion (finally) at work. Only took five years, and only three years after I swore I'd quit if I didn't get the phonathon coordinator job.

Seems to me that I have a hard time sticking to my guns.

The job is in the Arts & Sciences office, running the Scholarship program. Right now I'm busy picking up on the job from someone else in the department who used to do it. It's good to have institutional memory around, I'm learning. I mean, I knew that already from the classes I'd been taking (and it formed part of the basis of my masters thesis) but I'd never known it on a personal, in-your-face kind of way before.

I guess that's the same way I'd never really known that fire was hot until I stuck my hand in one once. Serves me right, I guess, and I suffered no lasting damage, but Jiminy Cricket that hurt.

So I get a pay boost, making me approximately 50% more attractive to gold-diggers, which is nice. And I get a new office, which is OK, I guess. It meant that I had to move everything that had managed to be made at home in my last three offices.

Oh, yeah - this is also my fifth office in just over five years in the department.
1) A room at the confluence of three hallways that is now, honest-to-God, a janitor's closet
2) A fishbowl with a broken heater, but a great office anyway.
3) A closet in the copy room (again, honest-to-God)
4) A real office that had decent shelving units installed (now with Air freshener!)
5) This one at the satellite building.

All-in-all, I think I'll do OK, but I gotta admit, I'm a bit nervous.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian,

congrats for your promotion :)
although one must say you've got awesome patience

7/27/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home