Friday, May 11, 2007

When They Sell Out, They Don't Screw Around


So, I've broken down and decided to get a Nintendo Wii. I think I realize that there's been a bit of a jump in video game system quality since I bought my last one (Sega Genesis in 1993, Sonic represent!). And so, despite my basement's low ceiling and the potential to therefore make some plaster-throwing contractor a millionaire, I've been looking to buy a system.

Funny thing, though - it seems that the Wii is the best-selling console game system in America.

Ever.

They've sold 6 million Wii consoles worldwide in the last 6 months, far outpacing sales of any other console system over its first 6 months of life. And that has put quite a strain on supplies - apparently, Nintendo didn't expect sales to be that good, and so there's a global supply problem.

I blame the elderly.

Anyway, that means there are no Wii consoles out there. None in stores, none online. Kirsten and I asked around at the mall yesterday, and apparently the stores there don't even get real shipments; according to one guy at EBGames, they get maybe 2 or 3 units at a time.

So, long story short, there's no Wii in my home. And that means no Zelda: Twilight Princess.

But that's OK - maybe I can wait until Guitar Hero comes out before making the purchase.

Just a reminder: The Wii is now $249.99 in stores - the PS3 is still hovering in the $600 range. All other things being equal, it's a bargain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home